Re: [RC] RE:: RC question for those riding in leather saddles - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Sidio
  A wisely prepared un-oiled saddle is the proper technology in the proper place. Sure some people may sneer at you, and ask if you are just too lazy or can't afford saddle oil, but you just tell them that their safety is more important to you than a quiet ride.

*Paul, I feel almost violated reading this!  Like Angie gnashing her teeth over her mutilated OF crupper!!!  I cringe every time i go into a consignment tack store and see a high quality saddle that is offered for sale secondhand....dusty, scratched and un-oiled.

I think it stems from my childhood of having to settle for an Argentine made Borelli instead of a Stubben!  I lovingly soaped and conditioned that Borelli after every ride, hoping it would morf into a Stubben....it never did.

But I do truly appreciate quality in leather and workmanship...and a well made saddle WILL last a lifetime if taken care of....and I have seen too many "tack wrecks" due to un-cared for leather breaking.....just keep in mind that un-oiled leather is more likely to take in sweat  and water and eventually break, than oiled, careed for leather......and a well cared for saddle will hold it's value......

My advice to poster is to condition the heck out of the saddle!  Mink oil will also waterproof.......and then cover with sheepskin cover to protect from scratches and make rider more comfortable....

Karen (tack queen)