[RC] Colombia - Endurance Seminar - stephteeter

Endurance Seminar

Steve and Dinah Rojek are (in my humble opinion) some of the finest
Endurance trainers and competitors in the USA. Both have competed
successfully at every and have trained and bred successful Endurance horses
for almost 30 years. Steve has competed in close to 100 100-mile rides.
That's a lot of experience! Steve and Dinah also have a Colombian
connection. Marco Hernan is the Rojek's 'right hand man' - helping them with
training and competition for the past 4 years, and Hernan is Colombian.
Steve and Dinah enthusiastically accepted the invitation to come to
Colombia.

The Federation also invited me to come. With my experience as both rider and
ride organizer at the FEI level I could offer suggestions and advice.With
Endurance.Net, I could introduce the world to Colombia, and help promote
their venture into International competition.

Dinah is one of the best people I can imagine to combine years of knowlege
and experience into a single program, and present it to a group of riders,
clearly and concisely. Dinah is currently chair of the AERC Education
Committee, and has been developing the program - seminar - which she has
entitled 'Endurance: Beyond the Basics'. She has colated information on all
aspects of the sport - selection and preparation of the horse, training
physiology, nutrition, electrolytes, shoeing and trimming, saddle fit, and
competitive strategies. Her presentation was concise and informative.

The seminar lasted 2 1/2 days, Dinah was the primary speaker, and Steve and
I piped in with comments when appropriate. Carolina did a remarkable job of
interpreting the program into Spanish. The most difficult aspect of the
seminar was how to deal with the hundreds of questions from the crowd, and
still maintain forward progress. Christina and Mauricio did their best to
moderate the program, but every point of information which was presented led
to more questions, and more comments. It was quite intense, and quite a
challenge! Most of the folks were very well informed - having read and
studied the books and info on the Internet, and they were asking tough
questions.

full story and coverage at http://www.endurance.net/colombia

Steph