Re: [RC] rogue donkey's - Sisu West Ranch

This interacts with a whole bunch of state laws, some of which vary from place to place.

1. Most, but not all states are "fence'em in", states.  That is the owner of livestock has a positive duty to keep his stock fenced in.  You can see this difference when you cross the border to MT on the interstate.  Suddenly, there are cattle guards on the entrances.  The state is "fence'in 'em out".  As our population grows, and more folk move in from urban, "civilized" states I expect that the laws will change.
2. In most, if not all states, the owner of intact male stock has special duties to keep them under control.
3. In general, if your animal causes trouble again after one incident, civil law will take this as evidence of negligence and your chances of loosing a lawsuit increase.

By all means, talk to you local animal control, law enforcement, and probably humane society.  It sounds like you have an idiot in the neighborhood and this ass (either one) will be causing trouble in the future.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875