Re: [RC] Back-to-back 100s -- what's too soon? - KimFue

I would base a large part of my decision on:

1. How long it took the horse to recover from the first 100 In June.  In this I would include attitude, appetite, energy level, weight loss, etc.,  Did it take him longer to bounce back from the competition then normal.

2. Was there any obvious wear and tear from the 100s like tack galls, etc.?  Are the legs clean, any obvious signs of wear and tear on fetlocks (new filling).  Any signs that the horse needs to have additional rest and recovery time?

3. How do you plan to ride your next 100?  Part of decision is based on how you want to ride your next ride.  If you are going to complete and not planning on physically or metabolically stressing the horse, I think you have a lot more play on timing your next ride.  If on the other hand, you plan to push the horse, you may want to make sure that there is adequate time for recovery from the first event AND enough time to peak for the second event.

Six weeks seems like enough time between events BUT you have to be able to judge if it works for your horse based on how he recovered from the last 100 and how you are planning on riding the next 100.

Kim Fuess