From: smuncy
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 1:08 AM
Subject: [RC] small acreage,....

   Someone posted that she was in WVa, VA, MD.  area,  and "could  keep 1 horse on  3 acres" - 'A good rule of thumb'.
But, conditions vary greatly, even  just within the same counties.   I have 3  horses on 5 acres.   I am  in VA,  alot of shale soil here - for me,   and I can keep 3  horses on that / shale ,  - I would not recommend !, and  have to be careful,  (  the other side of the  county has 'good'  soil - they can "easily"!  - if managed well - keep 1 horse per 1 to 2 acres - without  giving hay late spring til early fall).
   I have to work a bit harder to keep even reasonable pasture