From: Sharon Levasseur <sharon1359@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Small acreage... manure management?

We have 7 acres, of which we would like to fence off about 1 acre in the woods
and 1 acre on the lawn.  For now anyway, there will only be one horse, and that
one will be there only 3 seasons AT MOST.

Our house is a modern and "dressy" style, our driveway is paved, and in various
other ways we are NOT set up like a mini farm.  I cannot figure out what we're
going to do with the manure!  There isn't anywhere I can think of where a
manure pile would be hidden from view and yet accessible by any sort of vehicle
that would be able to haul manure away.  I know it'll probably only be one horse
(at least for now) but we all know IT ADDS UP!!

I can't even think of a good place for a dumpster... not that I really want to
pay for one!  And yes, I did think of composting, but we haven't got any sort
of heavy equipment to use for turning it over and I just can't see us in there
with shovels.

Thoughts, comments, ideas?  Anyone in a similar situation who has come up with a
creative solution?

Thanks,
-Sharon L. in Maine