[RC] Feed in Soth Africa - Budler,Cindy - Afrox

As Tracey mentioned , now that Beet Pulp is available in South Africa I too
have started feeding it to my horses- two youngsters not working and my
endurance horse. All of them scoff it down.
I too am feeding the shandy mix for its fibre content and energy - it is
Alfalfa and oat hay mix and I would presume about a 12 % protein. Together
with a small amount(2kg a day for the mare) of local 12% protein commercial
feed and beet pulp as well as oil and oats for the mare. I have been feeding
this for a month now - since I have moved the horses in with me from livery.
Also as the grazing is now more straw than grass due to being the dry season
and winter- they all get a haynet at night of the best quantity eragrostis
grass available(also about a 8-10 % protein in tests).
My mare's behaviour has changed radically - I am not sure if it is the food
or a combination of feed and living conditions. She was stabled from 3pm to
7am everyday at livery- with a very large mountain for turnout the other
hours. Also on a "cool" feed but with some molasses and about 3 kg/day.She
was an extremely hot spooky horse - a nightmare to ride !
Now she is out 24 hours a day- not in a large place but big enough to graze
and move around quite a bit. I also have pulled her shoes and she is a bit
ouchy right now- so although we are training lightly because of the feet she
is still getting in an average of 30km a week. She has not spooked once in
the the last two rides!!!! Also no pulling like a train- we can ride on the
buckle.It is a pleasure to ride her right now!!She is really well rounded -
not fat but in good condition and besides now looking more like a
"plaasponie"(farm pony in Afrikaans) and not a show arab anymore she is a
much more relaxed and happy horse all round.If I find , as we up the miles
in preparation of starting the new season in January- that she runs out of
gas  I will increase the oats and commercial feed to up the energy portion
of the food but right now we seem okay..

Regards,
Cindy Budler
IP Marketing
Germiston
011 876 1179
0824641809
This e-mail message and all attachments contain the CONFIDENTIAL AND
PROPRIETARY information of The Afrox Group and may contain LEGALLY
PRIVILEGED information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, or use of this e-mail,
its attachments or any information contained  therein is unauthorised and
prohibited. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender
immediately and delete this e-mail and any attachments.Internet Web
Address:http://www.afrox.com

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by Verizon Business Internet Managed
Scanning Services - powered by MessageLabs. For further information visit
http://www.mci.com