[RC] colic and endurance (was mustangs in endurance ) - Jonni

Barbara Moulton posted: >>>Gorgeous George was a mustang who did Tevis-
don't know if he ever was a winner- the sad story of his young passing I
read on endurance net is what convinced me that even though Joy is sound now
I will stick to LD only with her <snip>  Joy is healthy now but endurance
isn't called endurance for nothing, every system gets stressed to the limit.
I have done lots of slow all day rides on her with no ill effects so we will
be the LD turtle team.<<<

While each of us has reasons we do what ever distance we choose, and that is
of course our right to do so, I'm a bit confused by your statement about
Gorgeous George, and it sounds like you are insinuating it was the longer
distances he did that caused his colic, and Ed's loss in such a wonderful
trail partner.

Since we have so many newbie's that read and lurk, I just want to add, if
you think that sticking to LD's and easier rides will protect your horse
from colic, you need to consider that horses colic every day, just hanging
out at home, not under any kind of pressure from work and conditioning. Yes,
stressing a horses system more can increase the likelihood of a colic, but
it is not the distance, as much as it is the individual horse, and it's
level of condition. Not every horses system is "stressed to the limit" if
they are conditioned proper for the distance. Again, we all choose what
distance we want to do, for what ever reason, but don't think you are safe
from colic by sticking to LD's, and don't think that Gorgeous George and
thousands of other horses who have died from colic did so because they were
asked to do such things as a 100 mile ride.

Jonni in TX