[RC] Stock trailers and tall horses - Beth Leggieri

Well, actually there is something wrong with the average stock trailer--they do not offer safe and adequate head clearance for horses above 15hh--or ones with a high headset.  I reluctantly sold our combo stock trailer for that reason.  When we acquired a 16.3hh TB for our daughter, the trailer offered inadequate headroom, and we were paranoid about his bumping his head (even though a poll bumper cap was always used).  The poor horse traveled with  his head lowered--how uncomfortable is that?   Then I bought an almost 15.3hh Arab with a very high headset--and although he would load, he was not happy in the trailer--protested the height.  They seemed to love the openness, view, lack of claustrophobia, and everything else the trailer offered  though.  I am now thinking about returning to a stock "type" with slats at the top (on the sides) for ventilation, etc. but it must be a true horse trailer, designed with them in mind.

Beth, Texas (where hauling in Texas heat is a big issue!)