[RC] Santa fe ride - oddfarm

Now Tom, I don't know how your comments came about, but here is what I know about this ride.

I am very interested in doing it. Yes, the Santa Fe Trail Horse Race has a history. But that isn't the only story. Your story or George's is about one person. There is so much more in the history of the trail itself. My family and I just visited the trail in New Mexico. We were at a Fort and the ruts of the trail are still visible. At one time this Fort was making $3000 a day just from the people passing through to either direction.

Anyway, there are many reasons to want to ride this trail. I spoke with the guy putting on the ride. At first there was prize money but that has been eliminated because they do want to sanction this ride. The two ride managers who agreed to take this on are pretty well experienced in endurance and AERC. All who are involved, from what I have heard so far, want to make this a memorable ride, and not to have history repeating itself.

Isn't AERC all about preserving trails and bringing public awareness to the importance of trails and recreational riding? I see the Aubrey Award, but nothing clicks on. Why don't you call the race director, (he can't do much e-mail) and educate him about what the man did. He is very open to suggestions and comments. I am under the impression that all who are involved want to make this a very safe and memorable ride and maybe do it annually.

The original Pony Express ride burned up quite a few horses as well. However, all reports from the Duck's XP rides were glowing reviews. We ARE a tad smarter now, than we were 100 years ago. I didn't get to do the last XP ride so I would like an opportunity to ride the Santa Fe trail.

I like the idea of having an opportunity to ride a very historical trail, get mileage points, and spend time with family and friends. That was NOT something that Aubrey did, according to the story, but IS something that the ride management would like to see happen.

How can anyone say no?

Lisa Salas, The Odd farm