Re: [RC] Riding at Night - Truman Prevatt

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Closest I've come to getting hit by a truck was an obvious crew vehicle
hurrying down the road. For goodness sakes crews...remember we're out
there! I was trying to get my flashlight off my neck to shine on my
horse's rump but I was around a blind curve with high banks on a dirt
road and hearing that diesel coming fast was pretty terrifying. I had
always thought shining a light on the rump was the plan but now I want
reflectors.
I used to have to train in the dark a few mornings a week. Where I rode I had to cross some streets and ride along side a few for a ways. What I did was go to a bicycle shop and get some of those inexpensive blinking lights cyclist use. I rigged them to three places on my helmet. One right on top like a beacon. One in close to the top in the front and one close to the top in the back. You can use the Velcro arm straps that come with them and the vent holds in your helmet to secure them.

Those things flash forever on a small battery and they throw off a bright red pulse of light ever second or so. They can be seen for a long way off and red gets people's attention. Also red light doesn't interfere with your or your horse's vision. I didn't get much splash back of light from where they were placed anyway - the helmet blocked it.

I also had reflector tape on my helmet around the base on up the sides. You could see me in the dark with those lights - that was for sure. That was good since I was riding a black horse. I'd flip the lights on when they were needed and flip them off in the woods so I could sneak up on people - black horses are good for that ;-) .

Truman

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics