[RC] Pine Tree 30/50/100 (NE) -- Marvelous Maine! - RISTREE

Just a quick note to say thanks to Tom Hutchinson and his bevy of wonderful staff for the lovely Pine Tree ride on Saturday.

If you are a rider contemplating a 100, THIS is a ride to consider very seriously, no matter the hauling distance.    Electric/water hook ups, even stalls for those interested, a cook shack right on site and a great little local restaurant/grocery/ice cream shop/liquor store (to drown your sorrows) within strolling distance.

Great management, super trails (a forgiving variety and much of it God-sent hard packed sand, heavenly stuff for endurance horses and all the better after some steady rain!), absolutely well marked, and a bunch of friendly, happy folks to keep you company on trail and in camp.

My saintly Ned and I finished our 2nd 100, beating our own personal best (turtle) time at VT last year by wrapping this one up by about 1 a.m. or so.  (The sun wasn't even CLOSE to coming up when we were finishing up!)  I was contemplating another swing around the last loop to spend some more quality time with the fireflies, the bullfrogs and an electronic bug zapper that nearly caused a three horse pile-up when we passed a home, but the vets put the kibosh on that one.

I'm not sure people believe me when I say I ride the first 80 miles so I can do the last 20 in the dark, but it's true.  Humbling, magical and absolutely precious, precious time in the saddle.

Don't miss this one next year.  A good time was had by all.

--Patti Stedman (NY)