[RC] Cuyamaca Equestrian Camp - Jeannie Gillen

Karen Miner, Project Manager
Cuyamaca Rancho State Park
Equestrian Family Campground Replacement Project
8885 Rio San Diego #270
San Diego, Ca.  92108

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on the above named project.  Thank you too for hosting a Public Scoping Workshop this month.  I have sent you my detailed comments on forms provided at the Workshop, and summarize same here.

First and foremost, I would like to see Los Caballos re-opened and the Native American concerns mitigated.  Maybe we could build a Native American Horse Camp, after all the Native Americans did camp there with horses!  If indeed that is not feasible, my second choice would be Stonewall mainly because of the privacy it provides.  My third choice, and perhaps the most feasible, would be Los Vaqueros North.  All of the above sites offer a similar camping experience, access to the most popular trails, shaded environments, privacy and security from Highway 79 with minimal regulatory requirements.

As a frequent visitor to RCSP for over 20 years, it is my opinion that Tulloch and Arrowmaker do NOT offer a  camping experience anywhere near similar to the Los Caballos experience, for human or horse.  They lack good access for vehicles hauling livestock, they lack shade, they suffer from road noise and light pollution and  they do not provide the same access to the most used trails.  Riding an hour and crossing the highway, just to get to the beginning of the trail you want to ride, is not acceptable.  Also, I in disappointed that DPR is recommending a relocation in ABDSP rather than in CRSP, where we would be out of boundaries and in another jurisdiction altogether.  Last, but not least, any site that close to Highway 79 creates a security problem by providing immediate access for Highway travelers to our camp, our rigs, our gear, our horses and ourselves.  I am seeing and hearing more and more about security at horsecamps and staging areas.  We equestrians typically have $25,000 to $200,000 investments parked at camp.  Please do not jeopardize our safety and security by locating us next to the Highway.  It may work for staff, but it does not work for visitors.

Also, on the site design, please consider "pull through" sites as many of us now have horse trailers with living quarters, and we do not want to camp in the road.  We do not want to be "dusted" by each and every vehicle that drives through camp, we do not want to step out of our trailer into the road.  All of our gear/tack is IN the trailer, which should be parked near the corrals, and IF we tie our horses to the trailer (a very common practice) we certainly don't want their hindquarters sticking out in the road.  It is not safe and not desirable to park our rigs on the camp roadside.

I would be happy to help in any way I can to expedite and assist in making a family horsecamp again available to equestrians.  Please also work on providing a Day Use area near the horse camps.  The current "turnout" off Highway 79 is not adequate.

Thank you again for the opportunity to comment on this very important project.

Jeannie Gillen

Note to "CC" recipients:

Please prepare your own comments to Karen Miner at the above address BY JUNE 30TH
Do not let this opportunity to retain equestrian camping at Cuyamaca be lost!  You can learn more about this project at www.parks.ca.gov  THANK YOU