Re: [RC] USEF, Tom Johnson & damaging speculation. - Diane Trefethen

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Our individuality is our greatest strength... But this one-size-fits-all approach will get us every time. It may work for the French--but we are not the French, and we have to do what we do well, instead of trying to do what someone else does well.

Absolutely. Keep in mind that it is 650 miles from Brest, FR, to Nice, FR, about the greatest distance you would need to travel in France. In contrast, I-5 stretches 1380 miles from Canada to Mexico and the distance from LA to NYC is about 3500 miles. Unless the USEF/FEI is willing to provide free boarding for both horses and riders (NOT gonna happen), an Endurance village or lab makes no sense at all. And the best horses and riders are rarely rich folks.

This brouhaha has brought up something I missed about USEF. How could anyone in their right mind force a rider to change a horse's shoeing for a race? Or FORCE that horse to consume a chemical it had never encountered before? Somehow I just cannot imagine Bill Steinkraus sitting still for that kind of shit. "You want me to change the angles on Riviera Wonder? What? Are you NUTS? Feed him WHAT? And make him sick? NO!"

You know how you give a little to be reasonable. Then the new norm is "off" from your original position? Then you're asked to move again... just a little? And you're farther from where you should be? Then again? And again? Then one day you wake up and you are so far from what is reasonable and where you want to be that you are overwhelmed by how such a travesty could be? That's what has happened to AERC. They are the tail. WE are the tail. WE with the riders and the horses and the talent and the expertise. And WE are being wagged by the dog, USEF/FEI.