Re: [RC] [RC] how many endurance riders shoe and trim their own horses? - Deanna German

On Jun 16, 2006, at 11:38 PM, Karen Sullivan wrote:
I have seen very, very good results with my own horses. <snip> The Arab mare
was a mess, very narrow, forward foot; underun heels, and very long toes...despite farrier
always taking back toes...she was trippy and jolty.....shoes came off in August <snip> she had 7 years in shoes, and any time we tried before to pull shoes, she was very ouchy.

Here's the thing about most of these barefoot conversions that kept me from even considering keeping my mare barefoot permanantly for so long: all of them talk about taking a horse out of shoes and keeping them barefoot as if that's a big deal. I really don't think that's the part that's the big deal for a lightly ridden horse (less than 15 miles at a time and generally slowly).

I know of lots of horses that are kept barefoot and are ridden -- until the hoof wear exceeds the growth, and that usually happens during ride season. And then they are shod. I know I used to shoe just so I could ride faster without making my horse footsore and ride over any footing. It also happened to correspond to the 6 months out of the year that I was either conditioning or doing distance riding. Shoes were pulled off of my mare and she'd be pain free from the get- go. This is also the case for the majority of horses I know. I'm not familiar with the "need to be shod year-round" syndrome.

What is ignored is that the trim used by most barefoot trimmers is SUCH a departure from traditional farrier trimming with the hoof wall in front of the quarters bearing the load, that even a horse like mine -- who hasn't had a shoe touch her feet in 6 months, has ample turnout on sand and has been ridden 10 - 30 miles per week in that time on sand -- can be made excrutiatingly footsore by the trim because tissues not accustomed to load bearing are being suddenly asked to.

Pete Ramey talks a lot about using boots for the newly unshod horse and I'm glad he takes that POV. I intend to attend one of his upcoming clinics to learn more and to find out exactly what I can do to ease this transition for my mare. Due to my personal experience with the E.P. , I'm not keen on the equine podiatry POV. The philosophies are in the same zip code I think, but I balk at the "need" for the horse to be in pain in order to "heal."

I also don't think keeping a riding horse barefoot year 'round would have worked where I used to live -- the footing was clay mud for 6+ months of the year. Barefoot trimmers seem to ignore that aspect too.

Deanna