Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 12:37 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Shoeing theories & x-rays

Well, I had taken Aries  a couple weeks before Biltmore to have her xrayed to see if the ole girl was getting arthritis....she had beautifully clean joints by the way, but the xrayed showed the shoe job of course.  I stand there and the vet points out how nicely she lines up angle wise with the hoof wall/shoes.  I tell him, "I must have a really good farrier huh?".  He says "yes, you do".  I then, say, "Thanks, that's me".

Moral of the story:  I never had her xrayed until then, owned her for 5 years, so, I suppose I didn't need the xrays to line her up right.  Maybe you new farrier won't either.  I would rather see what they look like after he does them, then see if maybe there is a reason to have the xrays, if something looks off.

Jody

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
What are ya'll's thoughts on providing a farrier with x-rays. I've seen
articles where they used x-rays to determine where a horse's toe & angles
*should* be, etc. Josie & I are both starting new horses. I'd really
prefer not to ruin them with miles & miles of improperly shod feet. We're
also having to choose a new farrier since the last one I was happy with
left the country (hopefully not to avoid me).

We're getting ready to try our third possible replacement farrier. #1 had
to move to take care of his parents. # 2 got very irate when I asked for
"enough room to roll a nickle around the shoe on around the outside of
the heel", then left them tight anyway. Then the Josie's horse tripped a
lot with his. #3 looks like a guy I can work with but he shoes a lot of
Saddlebreds. I'd like to actually be able to relate to him *how* I'd like
them done. His truck is a LOT nicer so I'm guessing he'll be more
expensive. :-P

I do have one friend who got x-rays and then the put shoes on her horse.
She's a vet, and the vet who did the x-rays supervised the shoeing. They
really screwed him up. :-P I want to do this right. Farriers...do they
help you any?

Angie