[RC] Sunday - rides2far

the current Egyptian week starts on a Sunday
and  > > continues to Saturday.

So does ours. The official "Sabbath Day" would be Saturday. Christians
started meeting on Sunday because it was the day Christ rose.  Went into
the tomb on "Good Friday" and arose on the third day...Sunday.  For the
Jews "Sabbath" starts at sundown Friday and goes till sundown Saturday.

*As a Christian* here's my take. I understand if you're just a "higher
power" person it seems unimportant but I really do study the Bible and
try to live by it. Doesn't mean others have to but if anyone's actually
considering how it affects others to schedule at least they'll know.

I have always thought "Remember the Sabbath Day and Keep It Holy" was
without a doubt the hardest of the 10 commandments. It's pretty easy not
to kill someone, commit adultery, steal, etc. I don't really even have a
problem with coveting, I can honor my parents,...just that darned "take a
day off" just about kills me. Picture a world with no unions. Slavery,
people who felt they needed to work every second of every day to survive.
Then imagine a higher being says, "YOU HAVE TO HAVE AN OFF DAY, AND SO DO
YOUR SLAVES AND ANIMALS".

I struggle with the concept as much as anybody. Sometimes I have to use
Sunday for my "long ride" day, but still prefer to get it in Sat. if I
can and let Sunday be my "day of rest" with the rest of the family. Bill
does all his lawn mowing, etc. Saturday and Sunday's when we get lazy:-)
There was a time when most stores were closed Sunday. Once we let up on
it it just opened the floodgate. Now SO FAR schools don't schedule ball
tournaments on Sunday or even Wednesday night around here and it's such a
RELIEF to have that one day *unscheduled*.

Whereas under the Law the Jews punished you for breaking the Sabbath,
Jesus said, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" (Mark
2:27)  So, I'm OK with going for a ride and enjoying nature on Sunday,
but something about a competition bothers me more. I do *not* believe you
have to be in a building to worship. I have also yet to find a place in
the bible that it orders you to go to church. But it's pretty strict
about what it does order. No grading on the curve. >g<

The Southern Baptists have gotten very active promoting "out of building"
fellowships. There's Cowboy Church, Biker Church, I'm sure there's a
Hiker Church, etc. Personally, I don't think I could concentrate on the
sermon if my horse if fighting horseflies, which is why I didn't stop the
time I came up on a service on the trail (obviously I was riding on
Sunday at the time). :-)

Again...not pushing this on anyone, just "where I'm coming from".

Angie (perpetual backslider)