[RC] Eye issues - Jonni

Eye issues can be something simple, to very complex. If it is not clearing up from what the vet told you to do, I'd consider another vet who has more background in eye issues. Some actually specialize in them more than others. Your horses only has two. You don't want to lose either one of them!

Had a reoccurring eye issue. Local vet had me putting salve in it...cleared up, then would come back, clear up, them come back. Finally took horse to a vet who had more eye experience. Horse had a fungus in the eye, that if it had spread, it could have not only caused him to lose the eye, but if it really spread, he could have died.  I had to put ointment in his eye for a week, every 3 hours, around the clock. I taught him to stand still, by giving him a peppermint as soon as the ointment got in the eye. Being a smart boy, he caught on quick, and would stand perfectly still, let me put medication in eye (which had DMSO in it to carry medication deep into the eye) , and then would stand there with eye shut, and lips moving, looking for his mint. Got to where I never even had to put a halter on him.  After a week, fungus had diminished some, but not completely. He then spent a week at vet hospital on an around the clock drip. They put a harness on him, with a pump mounted on it, and a tube up along neck, then cut a slit in eye lid, so it dripped into the eye. $1100 later, he was cured. (actually, a week at a vet hospital, being checked around the clock, I figured $1100 was fairly cheap)  And, he has his eye, and I have him.

Yes, this was rare, but I just do not take any chances with eye issues. So much can go wrong. Just not worth it to try to diagnose it myself.
Jonni in TX