Re: [RC] Do any of you ever get nervous? - Stacy Sadar

Hi Jennifer,

I too get nervous every so often...usually too much caffeine in my system.  I just get off whenever my gut says I should.   Older, wiser and easier to break.

Funny Story...
I'm know for "Stacy's Fireman-Pole Tree".   There is an area we ride on private land that has a bit of a drop off...straight down.  Not nearly as cliff-like as those of you in the real mountains, but enough to scare the you-know-what out of ya.  Anyway, I'm riding with a couple of friends on a beautiful snowy day...big flakes coming down...just gorgeous.  We approach the cliff part of the trail and the horse in front of me starts backing up into my horse and my horse really has no where to go.   All I see is the bottom of this cliff...not the top!  I'm freaking out but not visibly.  I love my horse but I'm not trusting he's going to stay on top at this point.  I see a tree on my right...grab it, swing my left leg over the horse and slid down it!  SAFE on the ground.  My horse stands there looking at me like "what's your problem?"

Needless to say...I've done this 2 more times in the same spot!  It really freaks me out!!  You think I'd get off and walk it huh?  NOPE - Still ride it! LOL

Stacy

Jennifer Adam <jatatahoe1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Okay - I debated for a while about whether to even ask, but I just have to
know. Do any of you ever get nervous on a trail or do you just have nerves
of steel?? I was riding a trail yesterday that I had never been on, it was
cool and breezy, and we were with another horse that we've never ridden with
before. My mare was hard to handle and she started dancing around the trail
- near a rocky ledge that kind of freaked me out. She lost her balance a bit
but managed to recover and I sort of guided her back on to the path, but my
heart was pounding the whole time. Then, a little farther on, she heard
another horse trotting up behind us and she spooked and tried to bolt. I got
her slowed and back under control, but by then my nerves were shot and I'm
sure my anxiety contributed to her over-reactiveness. All I could think was
- I must be crazy to think I'm a good enough rider to handle an endurance
trail!! So - are you all just that tough that nothing bothers you? Does it
just take lots of practice??
Confessing to being a bit of a coward -
Jen