Re: [RC] tripping horse - Don Huston

Many times a horse is tripping in the front or folding in the rear because he has sore heels. Sore heels makes a horse shorten his stride and set the hoof down toe first. Watch your horse walk on level ground and see how he sets his front hooves down. Healthy hooves land flat or slightly heel first at the walk. Many other things can make a horse shorten his stride and land toe first like chronic tight or sore muscles, old injuries, too tight girth, too tight or binding breast collar, saddle bars jabbing the shoulder blades to name a few. If he walks toe first with or without a saddle its probably heels, muscles or injuries. So check'um over, squeeze, poke and flex for sore parts, loosen your gear, swap saddles and pads, etc. If all that stuff is okay then I would get a hoof tester (big pinchers) and start on the rears cause they are the most likely to NOT be sore. You start out lightly pinching all around the hoof using the same amount of pressure. Start on the front of each hoof and pinch between inside (not on) the shoe on the sole and outside on the horn without causing the horse to flinch. Pinch around and along the quarters and last on the bar next to the frog at the heel. Do the other side of the hoof. Then up the pressure a little and go all around again. Keep upping the pressure until you get a consistent but slight flinch. Try the other rear and see if the pressure is about the same. Try to remember how the pressure feels on your palms against the pincher handles. Move to the fronts but start lightly again, if the heels are sore the horse will flinch way before you get to the pressure you had on the rears. Tripping can be fixed and finding the cause is half way to fixing it ;-).
Don Huston