Re: [RC] Nervous or Crazy(Tevis start) - Jonni

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dyane Smith" > But, Barbara, truthfully isn't the scariest part of
Tevis, the start?
Dyane (who has never done Tevis, envies the Cougar Rock photos, but thinks
there has to be a way to get one without actually starting Tevis)<<<

Well, imagine from 200, to 250 horses, all taking off at once...hehehe

Actually, the past few years at least, they have had 3 groups. Those who
want to push for up front, be competitive etc., in the first group. They all
gather on the big wide dirt road up further than the rest. Then those who
are middle of the pack riders, who expect to ride not really fast, but not
dilly dally along. The gather on the road, back behind that first group.
Then, the 3rd group are those who ride just to finish. The gather back
further behind that 2nd group. Within those groups, riders kind of place
themselves where they feel is the best for them. I was lucky that as we
stood and waited, all the horses around me, and my own horse, were really,
really calm.  We just stood there, and watched the moon setting, knowing it
would be coming up again for us in some 18 hours. It is actually very
peaceful, as everyone is deep in their own thoughts. Then, at 5:15AM, all
groups start down the trail. You have a very wide dirt road for a bit, then
a jeep road, then single track. Some immediate downhill. I quickly observe
what horses around me might be trouble,and acting bad, and get away from
them. You better be ready to trot out, as it does not take long before
everyone is moving along. Lots of dust, but if you just let your horse get
in that steady trot, and be aware of those horses around you, it was really
not that bad in my opinion. I'm sure those who have ridden it more, might
have different views of the start, and maybe I have just been lucky.

And yes Dyane, you can ride to Cougar Rock, have a friend take a camera, and
take a photo of you going up it. But I bet it won't have the same meaning to
you as it would if you entered the actual ride. <wink>

Jonni