FW: [RC] barefoot hooves - sherman

I know this subject is a few days old, but I’ve been trying to send it for that long and have had some trouble with my email. Hopefully, this will get through.

Subject: [RC] barefoot hooves

I think my new (bought in November) 8 yr old Arab gelding has flat front soles. Has anyone had experience in using boots on a horse like this rather than shoes? He’d never had any reason to any hoof protection since he was only a pasture ornament/pet until I bought him, and I’d like to see if I can keep him barefoot. His hooves have a nice spread from top to bottom, which makes it difficult to get the boots tight enough on top to keep them on. My next step, I think, is to add the gaiters to the boots and see if that helps. What do you think?

Also, I’d like to do 50s with him in boots, but if the boots have to be removed for vetting, and the area has rocks, he’ll be ouchy. Would he be pulled or not allowed to start because of that? I seem to recall reading that booted horses were sometimes required to be vetted barefooted. Is that still the case?

Kathy

it sounds like these horses are kind of flat footed, especially in front.   you might not be able to change that much.  i have a horse that is like that.   he is fine on sand, dirt roads, etc.,  but ouchy on gravel.    i just shoe him when i ride in rocky terrain.

  i know you said that shoes were not an option in this case.  i guess what you really mean is they are not a choice!   :-)

  cowboy ed