[RC] Beans - Jonni

Funny how some can make such an ordeal out of cleaning their gelding parts. Having 5 geldings, I have found a few things. One is, that they often like to stand around together letting them hang and air out. I don't know if this is some weird male gelding bonding session or what, but if one has dropped, usually a couple others have too. This does make for a cleaning opportunity, see below...

Next, they usually do NOT drop to pee. Usually stays tucked up in there, or maybe at "half staff ".

And last, the easiest way to clean them for me, is to just grab it when they have dropped standing around, and flip the tip, and get the bean out. Then knock the big chunks off the outside.They are usually loose, and sometimes try to walk off. Of course, having a hold of them firmly, will usually make them either go faster, or stop. BUT, the warning is, do not try this with a gelding you have never touched there when they are tied and secure. Some will try to kick your head off until they find that this is not that big of a deal. Lots of scratching in front of their parts on the belly, and just rubbing the outside of the sheath will give you the general idea of the horses attitude on this situation. If they are touchy, do a lot of desensitizing before you try to clean. And some will LIKE being scratched right in front, and will actually drop. I imagine it is a hard place for them to scratch, eh?

And I never bother with gloves. Just wash my hands afterwards. Goodness, it is just sweat, dirt and gunk. Of course, I'd much rather clean a gelding sheath, than EVER change the diaper on a baby!

Oh, and when they get the really good cleaning, with water and the whole works, sometimes I use a bucket of warm water from the house, but usually just cold hose water. And I would never put Vaseline up there. I could see it gathering a ton of dirt and making things even more a mess. I just use Excalibur. One tube lasts a long time, even with 5 geldings.

Jonni