[RC] White River Summer-Story - Kari Hanes

I've been asked again to do a write up for Horse Talk Magazine. I'm not a journalist, any help you can give I'd be grateful. Here's the story I have so far, last month's was a little long so I had to shorten it up a bit to have room for more photos. Let me know what you think and for those of you that were there - any additions/corrections you have would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Kari Hanes
Montalee Arabians
Holton, MI

60 Miles at White River Summer
This past weekend was a great time at White River. I decided to try a two day event and finished both days with good vet scores and a happy horse.
We arrived on Friday afternoon, set up camp and began preparing for the next day. Everything was set for an early start; 6:00 a.m. for the 50 mile riders, 6:30 a.m. for the 30 mile riders and the competitive trail riders were staggered after 7:00 a.m. We had quite a few newcomers this time. A beautiful Icelandic stud, a Spanish Mustang and a Paint cross were entered in the 30 mile LD for Saturday that had never competed before. All finished well and are eager to ride again. Alexa and her Icelandic may be following us up to Manton for the next ride, Hopkins Creek, at the end of June.
Both days the course was well marked and the recent rain had helped keep the sand and dust down. There was more water along the trail than usual for the horses to drink and cool down with trail sponges. I rode with Wayne Gastfield again this ride and we had a great time together zooming through the trails. We came in first and second place in our division on both days.
We had a new vet crew that our head vet, Rae Birr DVM, brought in. Two who had recently graduated and one that was a student from Michigan State. They did a great job for us and probably thought we all had a screw loose by the end of the weekend. Riding that many miles can make a person a little fruity by day two. This sport takes an immense amount of dedication and time in the saddle to be safe riding these distances. Please research this sport on the web at www.aerc.org, www.gldra.org or www.umecra.com. Rather than leave you with a long ride story, I thought this month I'd share some of the great photos we took.
See you on the trail!
Kari Hanes - Montalee Arabians