[RC] re: sheath cleaning - Rebecca Bianchi

Please all of you newbie horse people or new to gelding cleaning routines, proceed with extreme caution.  I worry about the person that wrote in that they face towards the front of the horse, chances are if he does kick he'll get you in the face!  I have two geldings, neither of which is happy about having their manhood handled.  I can apply Excalibur with no problem and can even use the hose (cold water) right up inside the sheath for rinsing, but never try to hold onto his "member" if he is trying to retract it that's when the hind hooves start coming off the ground.  I was trace clipping one of our guys last winter and when I started moving back towards his sheath area he kicked me in the arm.  Luckily all I ended up with was a painful bruise, but now when I work on the boys belly areas I wear a helmet.  Patience is key.  You'll be doing this particular task for years ( or hiring someone to do it for you) if you plan to keep your gelding. ;-P