RE: [RC] barefoot hooves - Karen Standefer

In my opinion:  Flatfootedness is a condition and not a permanent hoof conformation.  It can be corrected.  Flatfooted hooves tend to have low grade laminitis and thin soles from the hooves being out of balance (anterior/posterior balance, not medial/lateral).  This sort of hoof conformation causes the coffin bone to drop slightly in the hoof capsule (ie., on x-rays the distance between the hairline and the extensor process of the coffin bone will be 1cm or more) and the pastern axis is normally broken backward as well.  This causes the laminae to be stressed from the tension and also causes the sole corium and coffin bone to be bearing more weight than they should.  In addition, the thin soles caused by this condition leave the coffin bone open to bruising and possible being fractured.  It’s a serious situation, especially for a horse that is being conditioned and/or ridden for endurance.

There are a couple of barefoot groups that promote this imbalance as the correct way for a horse’s hoof to be conformed.  My guess is that the gal has gotten hooked up with a barefoot trimmer who doesn’t understand correct hoof conformation/biomechanics.

Although, my next question would be:  What’s wrong with her wearing boots?  If the horses are comfortable and moving well in the boots, then let them go in boots (if shoeing is not an option).