Re: [RC] Faster walk - Sharon Levasseur

Zephyr is living proof that this works.  Spent one whole winter doing nothing
but practicing walking faster (using Dawn's method) through the very deep snow
we had that year.  By springtime he had a 4.5 mph walk AND had begun to develop
a nice foxtrot.

Of course, he's half Rocky Mountain Horse so his conformation meant the tendency
to gait was already there... just had to be found and developed.  Building up
those 4-beat walking muscles did the trick.

-Sharon L. & Zephyr

Quoting rdcarrie@xxxxxxx:

Something I learned here on RC really works to speed up a slow walk.  The
horse's barrel will swing slightly from side to side as he walks.  Watch for
that rhythm, then gently bump his side with your leg to enhance that swing.
As the barrel moves left, bump him lightly with your right leg...as if you're
pushing the barrel further left.  As it swings back to the right, bump with
your left leg.  It takes a bit to get the hang of it and get into the rhythm.
 If your horse breaks into a trot, bring him back to a walk and resume, but
with lighter bumps.  Sometimes just a tiny bit of pressue is needed.
Experiment to see what works with your horse.  You will feel the horse
lengthening his stride, reaching up under himself with his rear legs, and
moving out at a faster walk.  This works great.  Work on it every ride, and
over time, your horse *will* develop a faster walk. I had a friend's gelding
for about 6-7 months a couple of years ago, and did some 50s on him.  He had
a horribly slow walk.  I worked on his walk a lot during training
rides.  When I sent him home, one of the first things she said was, "You've
been working on his walk!"  He still didn't have a super fast walk, but it
was greatly improved.

Dawn in East Texas (blessed with two horses with good walks now)