RE: [RC] Fwd: RE: [RC] [RC] arabs, do you need one forendurance???Jennifer - Dave Smith

** Low Priority **
--- Begin Message ---
** Low Priority **

Thanks Barry for the input.  I will figure out a mile distance and start
calculating his walk/trot speed.   What should those speeds be?  As far
as your other questions, I just purchased a heart monitor and am trying
to record some base figures.  Used it for the first time, yesterday.
when his resting rate was 33-35 (altho it went up to 40-45 when I got on
him.)  I had him run a quarter mile plus up a grade where his rate when
to 180.  After stopping it went down to mid to upper 60s in one minute.
He seems to like to work, his ears are up and he goes forward very
willingly.  He likes to stay with the mare we're riding with and she's a
very willing horse.  He seems interested in new places, so I don't think
that will be a problem.  He's a very balanced looking horse.  A number
of people have commented on that, often asking me what his breed is.  He
has fairly thick, dense bone structure with his cannon just below the
knee measuring 8 and a quarter inches in circumference.  Also fairly
defined muscle.  My riding instructor, an old cowboy who competes in
team roping has always expressed admiration for him, calling him
"athletic" and telling me he'd make a good cutting horse.  As far as
riding him, I love it.  He is very responsive. A lot of "go".   I rarely
use my feet on him.  To change gaits, I merely change my upper body
action and he goes or slows, depending on what I ask for.  I don't use a
bit on him.  I ride with a rope halter-hackamore. I originally thought
I'd do that for about the first year of riding him and then graduate to
a snaffle.  But he responds so well on the hackamore, I don't think I'll
put a bit into his mouth.  But the jury is still out on that. He
responds well to directions, usually a shift in my upper body will get
him to turn unless he's really excited. We're learning to neck rein
right now.   He was very spooky when I first got him, but we've come a
heck-of-a-long-way from those days.  While he'll always be more spooky
than many horses, he now pretty much spooks in place and is willing to
go ahead if I urge him, despite his fears.  I'm somewhat concerned about
our relative size.  I weigh about 205 and he weighs somewhere around 900
to 950 lbs.and stands just barely 15 hands (in the morning, at least)
I'm working to bring my weight down, but that has been difficult since I
quit tobacco about six months ago.  Still, I'm slowly losing the weight
and would like to get down to about 190 which is a bit more than my old
football weight way back in my college days, but I think is doable.  He
has great feet. Fairly large for his size, revealing a bit of draft in
his background.  The hoof wall is about 3/4 inch thick and his soles are
hard as rock.  I don't think I'll ever shoe him, but might run him in
boots when we start competing.  Anyway, that's my boy, so what do you
think?

--Dave

"ll cole" <bluemoonfarm90@xxxxxxxxxxx> 06/07/06 3:02 PM >>>

Hi Dave,
How fast is his walk? Measure off a distance and do the calculation.
How fast is his working trot? With those to figures you can determine
how much of each gait you're going to need to do to make the time
limits. Are you seeing an improvement in his conditioning?
Yes, they can indeed improve their speed at a walk and he probably
will.
As far as early endurance potential determination:
1: What is his resting pulse and how are his recoveries?
2: Does he like the work? (Probably the most important factor!!)
3: Does he have any health or conformation issues to overcome?
4: Finally, do you like riding him and can you make the adjustments
needed, if any, to accomodate him?
Good luck with him. I've seen quite a few awesome Mustangs in
endurance. They can get it done.
Barry Cole,  Kansas