RE: Re: [RC] [RC] unregistered pure-breds - heidi

I, too, have bought horses on time--no crime in that.  The point is, though, that if I skip the country and don't pay for the gas hog, Ford Motor Company will not relinquish title to it a year later just because I show up in the neighboring state and prove that I have possession of the unpaid-for thing.  And they would be right--and the law would be on their side.

Same is true of papers--why on earth should someone be able to go to the Registry and say, "I have this horse with this DNA, I want its papers" (which is essentially what one poster was suggesting) when perhaps the breeder who produced the critter is still holding those papers (or the stallion owner is withholding a signature), in hopes of eventually getting paid?  Same basic deal....

Heidi

A lot of my mis-spent youth has been raising horses.Now, as I've gotten  older, wiser, grayer and stiffer, I relize that it is a whole lot easier to buy exactly the horse I want within my means. And yes, I've been on the receiving end of the crap involved when a horse deal goes south. However.....how many of us would be driving these gas hogs we hold so dear to pull our trailers with or go to work in if we had to pony up the entire purchase price before we left the lot? Now, that doesn't mean we can't afford to take care of that truck. Regular tune-ups, car washes, tags, insurance, etc. It's the initial lump sum that is the hard part. I have paid for horses on contract that otherwise I would never had the priviledge of owning. And so I believe that there are two sides to this coin. Do I have the answers? Nope!  But to say no one should have a horse unless they can pay for it.......and how can you promise that unless all the money is up front? Well, I think that is a little harsh. There are lots of us getting by on payments....sigh...just wish I was one of those that didn't have to....!! Ride well.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=