Re: [RC] Cold Backed horse - rides2far

Better really see what kind of fit it throws..........I have seen
one that> would literally throw itself over backwards (tied or
not)....no
matter now> carefully or slowly the cinch was tightened....

Yeah. Don't need that. Heck, don't need a horse at all, but I had a call
an awful lot like this about 15 years ago and the person told me so much
wrong with the horse I just had to see it. Went up there and it was the
best looking, most honest faced horse you ever saw...and the owner was a
NUTCASE. I sold that one to a vet for a nice profit and he turned into a
tremendous dressage horse.

Here's the clues that had me interested. The woman said his first owner
rode him all over the place. The man was 70. She said, "Even I rode him
for the first year, then I got skeerd of him".  She was obviously
extremely inexperienced. The horse probably put up with a lot before he
started getting hard to saddle. She said he doesn't buck, never reared,
he just circles you and sometimes he sweats. He'll break the lead if you
saddle him while tied, but any other time you can tie him. She said he
only does it about half the time and since they liked riding the Walking
Horses better they got tired of taking 15 minutes to saddle him. They
like their Walking Horses because they can just slap the saddle on and
go. I asked what bit they use with him. Same as with the Walking Horses.
(probably too wide for him).

My new horse Gunner was a little cinchy when I tried him out. He danced,
walked forward, and considered nipping me. Now he doesn't even stop
eating. So many of these people think it's their duty to get that cinch
rediculously tight it's not wonder horses act that way.  It's just
tempting to get this horse for somebody to ride. He's an obvious Arab
that's as buff as a QH and big. He's had years of slow riding in the
mountains. She said he's the best they have at crossing water, going
through traffic, anything. Some heavyweight would probably enjoy him.
Anybody who is curious, write privately and I'll send you photos. :-)

Angie