RE: [RC] Smooth Traveling Arabs - heidi

Actually, in my estimation, there is a lower percentage of modern Arabs suited to the sport than there was 30 years ago.  A few decades back, you could get on just about any Arab, and he would be a decent saddle horse and a reasonable distance prospect--because that's what classical Arabs were bred to do.  As the breed has been altered for the "extremes" of the show ring, I have to agree wholeheartedly with the folks who say that it is tougher and tougher to find a good Arab in just random searching.

Indeed, there are those breeders who still breed classical Arabs with the intent of riding them--and many of us do use endurance as our proving ground.  But historically, the Bedouins did breed their horses for the same sorts of traits that are necessary for endurance--metabolic efficiency, agility and speed over all terrain and for long distances, tractability, etc.  Those are not prized traits in the Arab "main ring"--and as such, one does have to look now for Arabs that are "bred to do it" as opposed to the old days when that was just the nature of the beast.

Heidi

Going back to a larger percentage of the Arabs out there being better at this.  I think this is the chicken and the egg.  Which came first.  When you breed for a sport, you have more individuals that are successful, or are Arabs being bred for the sport because they are more successful.  When you start finding individuals of any breed that succeed, you breed from that pool and then there are even more indivuals that can be successful.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=