Re: [RC] Gaited Horses - Equus Wolf

*********From: Bruce Weary DC <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          - Subject: [RC]   Gaited Horses
As I get older, the first three attributes I look for when choosing a
new horse are: Safe, Sane, and Surefooted. Then I start looking at
resting heart rates, feet, conformation, etc.,. I think we will see
more
of this as all of us riders get older. We evolve from "To Win is to
Win," to "To Finish is to Win," to "To Participate is to Win," to " To
Ride without Depends is to Win."  ********

Now I don't think I yet qualify in the "getting older" area, but getting there *G*.  Arabs are awesome-well the ones who didn't lose their brains through bad breeding (which I've had one of those!)  However, I found my Shelby, a Paint mare and she fell into the Safe, Sane and Surefooted.  The person I truly enjoy conditioning with has called her a mountain goat several times.  She feels solid under me, has never taken a bad step.  The one time we have dismounted to lead down a hill due to rain, Shelby went into a slide beside me, and just as I was about to let her go so the reins wouldn't bump her bit, I looked at her and asked where she was going.  She gave me this comical look, and put on the brakes - immediately stopped her slide.  Dunno how she did that!
I have seen a MFT and they are beautiful animals and the one I met was very smart.  As of right now, I like my three-gaited horse :)  walk, trot canter.. ok 4.. and gallop hehe.  That's just my preference.  Right now with my health issues, my motto is To Participate is to Win.  I would love to get to one ride this year.. but I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon to have a shunt put in so it may not be my year - that's OK.  We're still conditioning so we'll be ready (for LD anyway) whenever the chance does come!
I think everyone thinks their horse is the best - the best for them.  It's not necessarily a hit on someone else's horse (now being told you *need* an arab for endurance is a bit out there.)  I will do whatever distances my Paint mare and I can handle.  If we never make it to 50s.. so what.. would be nice though :)  She loves to go, loves the trail.  That's all that matters to me.  You couldn't make me trade her for an arab, appaloosa, thoroughbred, MFT, warmblood, etc.  But I don't care what breed she is - she takes care of me, I take care of her, and we have a blast!  She is Shelby.  Breed not be specific!
Happy trails!
Jennifer in SC
Shelby (woohoo.. better saddle.. can't we pleeeaase canter instead of trot all the time?)