[RC] wind and wild trail rides - WRSINOSKY

As Lee, I also live in AZ. It is not unusual to have 20-30mph gusts all day plus sand beating you up.  What I have read regarding horses' dislike of the wind is two things that make alot of sense to me. One is the fact that the wind causes all the bushes, etc., to move, making it look as if something that might like to eat horses could be hiding in there.  The other thing has to do with it bothering their ears so they cannot hear properly.

With my crew, of course, Doimas is a pain in the butt, but it doesn't matter if the wind is blowing or it's dead calm.  He just looks for excuses.  He is worse in wind, however.  Sebastian doesn't like the wind, but he's still pretty blaise about it.  My safest mount in a windstorm?  Angie, the BLM mustang.  She could care less.

So, does this mean the two things that make sense to me fall short with a horse who was raised in the wild? Or... is it just that particular horse that appears unaffected by wind?

I've asked all my horses, but they ain't talkin'.

Cindy Edwards
Buckeye, AZ