Re: [RC] Protection of leather saddle in bad weather - Truman Prevatt

The nice thing about good leather is getting it soaking wet won't hurt it if you take care of it. My saddle was new (maybe 6 months old) when I did Angie's ride in 2000. It was hot as the blue blazes in N. Georgia in June. Angie told us about this small pond with a solid bottom about ½ way around the second loop and how it was shadow and safe to go in and sponge to cool your horse. We find the pond and the next thing I know my horse is swimming in this "shadow pond." My saddle is under water for the 15 or so seconds it took the Jbird to swim out out of the hole he discovered. The saddle was saturated. I let it dry, cleaned it up and oiled it and it looked like new.

I wouldn't worry much about it getting wet, just make sure to provide good after care.

Truman

Jonni wrote:

As Angie said, you can just let it get wet, then give it a good treatment after the ride to keep the leather in good shape. I ride with a sheepskin cover on my saddle, and hate to take it off for a wet rainy ride, as I have it attached rather well. I went to Wal-Mart, and bought one of those cheap $3 picnic table cloths that have the cloth backing, but are plastic / vinyl. I added some grommets, and made it so I can just tie it on over my saddle and sheepskin cover. Most of the time you know at the start of the ride if it is gonna be a wet one, so I plan for it. After riding about 15 min, it had seated itself well over everything, and does not shift or move and kept the saddle (and cover) dry. I did not find it too slick or bothersome. Then at vet checks, or any time I dismount, the saddle is still covered. Then I can ride with a rain suit instead of a "slicker".
Jonni
Check my eBay:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZradhorse

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand Russell