[RC] Underage horses - A Word about BLM Mustangs - WRSINOSKY

Bonnie brought up an interesting subject when she spoke of a person who was disallowed entry with their mustang who they were told was four and turned out to be three.

The vets inspecting BLM horses generally do a "best guess", alot of times never looking at teeth, but going by size.  Years ago, I purchased a 3 y/o that turned out to be 2. My neighbor got a yearling who was actually closer to four.  Her mare "looked" like a yearling in size, still does for that matter, and it's been five years...

This happens alot. The horses are run thru the squeeze chute for vaccines and the vet generally gives his impression of age and color at that time.  Color is about the same toss up, so you need to know what you are looking at and not what is written on the paper.  A gray is a gray is a gray and can in no way turn into a blue roan. But, if you don't know what a blue roan actually looks like, you will go by the board listing and bid on that "blue roan" anyway.

Cindy Edwards
Buckeye, AZ