Re: [RC] How much walk/trot/canter in LD ? - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Consider a couple of things. Terrain, shade, sand,& horse's abilities before
you choose a formula. Even with an experienced horse I walk a long steep grade.
I don't even let him do much of the beginning of it at a trot because I don't
want his temp to get high. However, if the footing & terrain are good, I never
talk a walk break. Horses aren't like us. They have springs in their legs
(pasterns) it's like jogging on a trampoline. Whether on an LD or a 100, I'd
walk rough footing, or long or steep hills, trot most of the rest. If the horse
has a good canter you can let him mix the canter & trot up a little to use
different muscle groups. If there's a stretch of direct sunlight with shade in
the distance I may canter the sunny part to hurry back into the shade. If it
was especially hot I might walk a little in the shade to cool off before
hurrying across the next sunny patch.

If there's deep sand I've been told it's best to walk or canter it. You'd
probably want to walk that.

Angie

--- Begin Message --- I'd like to hear from others about how their typical LD ride looks like, regarding speed, and rest times. How much time do you walk, how much trot, how much canter ? How often do you do walk breaks ?
Does anyone do intervals ? like trot for 15 min, walk for 5 min, trot for 15 min ect ? Or do most trot for longer periods ?

Thanks
Kristine

--- End Message ---