[RC] 100 Mile Apprenticeship (New Idea) NOT YET - Don Huston

Frank,
You are right on when you said
There's a reason the word "endurance" is used to describe our sport. And I totally agree.
I'm not suggesting all 100's would be this way, just one here and there and advertised as a 100 miler with an opportunity to get miles for a 50 (small incentive here) and then test your abilities on the next 50 if you want to. Sort of like interval training but at a real ride. There would be no changing or elevating. There would be no surprises to those competing in the 100. The whole ride would be based on doing 100 miles but with this "apprenticeship" category available with no credit for miles after 50, just on the job training.
I figure if we all throw different ideas around we might come up with a good way to encourage more riders to work towards and eventually sign up for 100's. I definitely do not want to "dumb down" the 100's.
Don Huston