[RC] De-Elevate - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Karen Nelson knelson4299@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

There are problems with this concept which I have not seen addressed here yet.

If I am truly riding for points in my division & region, I want to know who I
am riding against in whatever distance I entered.
No matter what ANYONE says, if you are truly trying to accomplish a year's
worth of position, this matters.  If I have 25 riders against me in a 100, I am
riding my ride according to my abilities and my plan, and I know who on the
trail is part of my ride.  Same for a 50.
If a bunch of riders enter the 100, and then decide to stop @ 50, then I
suddenly have riders who are competing against me in the 50 mile ride who I
never saw during the day.  THE 100 MILERS ALMOST ALWAYS START EARLIER!!!!  This
scenario leaves every rider not knowing their position in the pack.
Does this matter???  Hell, yes, to those who are really crusading for
something, no matter what that crusade is. You might run for the finish and
gain precious points if you and one of your tight competitors are together at
the finish line.  If your "nearest competitor" has actually started an hour or
two earlier than you, then you are riding against a real "mystery rider".  You
won't know your position until the ride manager and secretary sort it all out.

This also makes a mightmare for the vets and the ride managers.  If you start
13 riders in the 100, and 4 of them quit early and take 50 miles credit, then
it makes points a nightmare.  How do you credit points correctly?  Starters?
Who changes distances in mid-ride?  I am a pretty good bookkeeper, and I would
NOT like to do the math on this kind of mess.

When you chose to elevate, YOU ARE GAMBLING on the energy both you and your
horse have left. This a direct correlation to KNOWING YOUR HORSE.  You do NOT
get to declare to elevate and then stop at the next vet check and want your
mileage already done.  Too many new riders are on "made" horses they didn't
spend very much time with, IMO, and elevating is something I think works for
riders who really know their horses.

How complicated do you have to make this???  The next thing, there will be a
push for points and mileage for training.  And I KNOW alot of riders who have
NO concept of how long a mile really is.  They are the ones who come to a ride
underprepared because they have their own concept of how far they ride in
training, and then they gripe about "how long the ride is".  I know there have
been rides that were long, and some that were short, but the human estimates of
how far they go in training is a sight to behold.

There is also the problem of awards.  Since every rider seems to think they
should get an award for just filling out the entry and sending a check, this
would place an undue burden on the ride managers.

Sometimes I want to remind riders that 6 rides in the eastern Sierras put on by
Jennifer Ketchum had a CANDY BAR for your top ten award.  Lots of riders prized
those candy bars.  I am sorry I never got to ride any of the rides she managed,
which chased the melting snow up the eastern side of the mountains in spring.

Elevator rides, I support.
De-Elevate-NOT.  JMO