Re: [RC] re: ROC/100 milers, etc. - Truman Prevatt

I'm not sure anyone really cared about any of the NC formats. We've gone through several to get to this point - however, people are still bitching about it. I think it just comes down to the BOD having to do what makes the most sense.

IMO the current system is the best of those I have seen since I've been riding since 1989. Of course that's only my opinion.

Also it is a pretty big stretch to imply the FEI has impacted our 100 mile rides. Our 100 mile rides have been declining for a long time - long before the FEI/AERC dual sanctioned rides. Don't get me wrong - the AERC-I/FEI have shot themselves repeatedly implementing the system.In fact it is difficult to see how it could have been handled worse. Hopefully they will get better. However, hanging any part of the decline of 100's on the FEI is not only a stretch - it is just not fair.

Truman

Cindy Collins wrote:

Barbara McCrary wrote: ... I believe that having a champion in every one of 5 divisions is
watering down the glory so much that no one really cares anymore. ...And, say hallelujah, Barbara! As I've said before, "in the old days" I
could tell you every AERC national champion and their horse's name, breed,
and antecdotal info. I have no idea now who's been champion for years. I
think the weight divisions past light and heavy weight have really
contributed to the lack of respect. I think it may be related to the
whole concept of giving everyone a national award whether one has done
anything that matters or not. I never even finished the ROC, but it
remains my standard for a championship ride. Sorry Steph, but the whole
FEI thing is a turn off to many and keeps some people away from 100s. Yes, others may enter because a ride is FEI, but you may not know how many
don't attend because of FEI. I'm not just talking about someone like me,
but people who have won ROC and Tevis and will not attend an FEI ride. Just another side. If I ever had a truly great 100 mile horse I'd be
looking at rides like Tevis or Big Horn style rides to showcase him/her. A ride where the winning horse takes 12-16 hours to win...Also, the lax
qualifications on the AERC championships AND the 50 mile championship are
another reason for lack of respect. I keep waiting for the board to tack
on a "25 mile national championship." Cindy

--

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

- Albert Einstein