[RC] Newbies - Bruce Weary DC

I read with some concern the post about the rider who, regardless of having virtually no experience, is filled with bravado as he predicts his future success in this, the most demanding of equine sports. Rest assured, folks, this sport has seen this type come and go many times before. It's true, we have safeguards in place designed to protect the innocent horse--vets, vet checks, hold times, recovery criteria, CRI's, soundness criteria, etc.,. The reality that many of us don't like to be reminded of is that this is still an amateur sport, with all the foibles that entails. A rider can still get a horse in dire trouble, even mortal trouble, between the vet checks. As a member of the Horse Welfare Committee, I can tell you that most ride related deaths are not from overriding. There are usually other mitigating factors, and often the death has nothing at all to do with how the horse is being ridden.
In my mind, I see the opportunities granted to us as we enjoy our horses, are balanced by the responsibilities we must accept in the care and use of those horses. There is no safeguard we can implement that can assure a horse's protection from his ill-guided rider. Education is the key, and hopefully some will trickle down to this individual before harm is done. Ultimately the responsibility of the welfare of the horse rests squarely on the shoulders of the rider. This means that some horses out there will always be at risk, to the degree that there will always be those few who are unwilling or unable to accept that responsibility. The horse is truly in this thing with us.
In a very "me" oriented world, one of the most honorable aspects of our sport is the fact that we are almost forced to set our ego aside as we campaign our horse, if he is to have a healthy career, and certainly if he is to have a long one. Bruce Weary