[RC] Anyone have their bars grow like crazy? - Karen Standefer

Hi, Jon.

I’ve seen this is a lot of horses.  Sometimes it is the old sole wearing away that is revealing overgrown bars that didn’t exfoliate before.  And, then other times I’ve seen it in a weak hoof that needs the caudal support for the coffin bone.

It’s a toss up what to do about it. I’ve had one horse of my own that did this in the winter after I pulled shoes and I just let him wear it away on his own.  After about 2 months barefoot he balanced his hoof up better and the overgrown bars got soft and fell off.  He also had them worse on the rears.

I’ve had some discussion with Dr. Bowker about this and he feels the hoof grows these unwieldy bars for support for something that is lacking.

I have some pics to compare to if you want to write me privately.  Karen_standefer at yahoo dot com

Karen Standefer