[RC] breast collars and safety - agilbxr

After all the discussion about breast collars, I had to go retrieve mine last night so I could ride today without worrying about myself landing underneath Alpine's tummy.  I don't think he'd handle that well.  My breast collar went with Alpine to his rehab home when he did, and when I brought him home, I forgot it, and my bitless bridle (the gawani pony boy one I might add).

So, we went out for about 6 miles with my friend Kim riding Spot (aka wannabe Bucking Bronc) and Alpine (aka Spooky).  Both had their breastcollars on.  I live in florida.  I think it has hills somewhere.  I don't own a crupper.  Therefore, neither had those.  I did, in my excitement of using the new heartrate monitor, and Spot's bucking fit, which involved my friend Kim getting off Spot before we even left and beating him with her riding crop--he wasn't too fazed by that--, forget to put my helmet on.  I never forget my helmet.  It's an extension of my head when riding.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I was two miles down the trail before I noticed it was missing.

Thankfully, Spooky/Alpine was on pretty good behavior, and my head stayed where I wanted it too, not in contact with the ground, so alls well that ends well.  However, with all the safety things I do, cause I know horses can be a little on the dangerous side, especially when you ride the psycho's I do, we can still forget something.  I ride in boots with heels.  My stirrups are covered.  I have a breast collar.  I tighten my cinch.  My horses are relatively well trained for what I am asking them to do most of the time.  And I (almost) always wear a helmet when I ride.  I can't condemn anyone for not using a breastcollar.  I never did till I bought one cause ridecamp said I should have one.  Oh, and I train my horse to accept the saddle whereever I put it.  I once cinched a kids saddle to Alpine's neck.  It's been under his belly, on his flanks, on his side, and purposly put on loose enough to move, cause one of these days, I'm going to forget something, and I'd rather he not kill me all cause the saddle moved.

My next task (other than Alpines diet and exercise program) is to teach Alpine not to spook at wind blowing leaves in the trees.  Any ideas on that one????

Juli (who's feeling pretty rambly today) and the Herd
Alpine (i have a green breast collar. It matches my bridle and saddle pad. It's good to be color coordinated)
Spot (I didn't like mine today, so I had to play bucking bronc)
Merlin (who is going to wear purple, he just doesn't know it yet)