[RC] Malaysia - Endurance - WEC - more thoughts - Stephanie Teeter

A few more thoughts about the state of the sport, the direction it seems to be
going in - and Malaysia's bid to hold the 2008 WEC.

FIrst - the state of the sport - my own observations-

I believe that those of us who view the current state of the sport - FEI
Endurance Racing - as undesireable -  a less technical sport, too fast - too
flat -  have to stand back a little and look at it from a global perspective.
There are currently 30+ Federations, nations, which participate in FEI
Endurance in some form or another. A few of these nations have vast lands,
temperate climates, networks of trail, where traditional endurance events can
be conducted - horse and rider against the trail, against the elements. USA,
Australia, Europe - we can still stage endurance rides over technically
challenging courses. But we are not alone in the sport - we may have 'started
it' - but we are no longer the only players.

There are many countries which may still have access to trails and technically
difficult courses but the climate itself becomes a limiting or challenging
factor. These countries are actively participating in Endurance - they have
adjusted the sport to meet their needs. (night riding, flatter courses, better
crew and veterinary support, better horses)

And then we have countries without the possibility of offering technically
difficult or challenging courses - only flat terrain, but with great ambition
and drive, and power.

The Arab Gulf countries embraced Endurance in the 1990's - starting with
marathon races (Qatar was the first) and gradually evolving to FEI Endurance.
And to these countries the sport became very important, it became a sport in
which the wealthy and powerful participated, and this ultimately helped shape
the 'flat track race' variety of Endurance, where 160km races are regularly won
in 7 - 9 hours. Arabian horses are part of the heritage of these countries, as
vehicles for wartime and nomadic travel - and the romance of the sport took
hold. As did the did the desire to win, the desire to be the best in the world.
After a decade of buying the world's best horses, hiring the best trainers and
veterinarians, studying and optimising the performance physiology of the horse
- the United Arab Emirates has emerged as one of the top players in FEI
Endurance. Their performances and lobbying within the FEI have resulted in a
sport where the ultimate emphasis is speed - how fast can a horse cover a 100
mile distance.

During this decade, the FEI has imposed new rules and qualification criteria.
Some of these are based on speed, and more significantly speeds which can only
be obtained over courses with a reduced level of difficulty (technical trail,
or hot and humid conditions). In order to compete Internationally, horses and
riders must qualify by completing 160km's in 13 hours or less. The Tevis has
never been won in 13 hours - 15 hours is the norm. There are no FEI
requirements regarding the course - (other than safety, water availability,
crew access) - only championship level speed requirements.

Maybe we've reach the limit now (7 hours) in terms of physiological capability
of the horse- maybe training techniques and breeding have peaked. Within a
moderate range of temperature and track conditions, the race is now based on
physiologic and mechanical (they still have to remain sound) superiority, and
heart. This is not that much different from the flat track racing -
thoroughbreds and arabians - where the track or course conditions are
standardized, and margins of victory are small, and with the exception of a few
freaks of nature, the outcome - the winning times - are fairly predictable.

Where do we want the sport to go? What do we want the sport to be? The 2006 WEC
venue, in Aachen , Germany, has been described as very technical - abrupt
changes in terrain - pavement, trail, wooded path, forest road - which will
reduce the absolute speed, and require more horsemanship from the rider - more
thought, planning and strategy. Even though there won't be mountain trails,
rocks, natural hazards to test the rider's skill, there will be enough of a
challenge that absolute speed will not be the only factor.

The 2004 WEC in Dubai was primarily about speed - groomed courses - pacing and
strategy requirements based primarily on physiological factors of the horse,
very little variety in terrain. The temperatures during the day required
consideration and adjustment, but it was primarily about the horse as a racing
machine.

And what about 2008? The expense of hosting a WEC is enormous, and the reality
is that not every Federation has the venue, or the financial means to hold a
WEC. The 2010 WEC will be in the USA, in Kentucky - it will probably be a
fairly technical venue, a little more 'traditional', as well as hot and humid,
and a challenge which will require pacing and strategy - but - the costs of
attending will have to be  covered by each Federation. The USA will not pay for
the other 30+ Federations to travel and stay in the USA. Attendance will be
mostly limited to riders who can pay their own way.

The two bids which the FEI received for the 2008 WEC were from Malaysia and
from UAE (Dubai) according to what I have been told. Both Malaysia and Dubai
offered to cover all expenses for the other Federations. The bid went to
Malaysia, conditionally. Malaysia still has to conduct test events, and prove
that the tropical heat is not a prohibitive factor - that horses can in fact
compete at the WEC level in this climate.

Endurance in Malaysia is not about speed. It is about pacing. The Edaran
Classic is also about strategy and toughness. The terrain is varied and
challenging - it is actually quite difficult terrain. Riding in Terengganu were
the WEC is to be held? - I don't have any first hand experience there yet. I've
been told it is flatter, and also sandy in places. Technical terrain- strategy
- may not be a significant factor. But pacing - restraint - will be. In
conditions of heat and humidity, the horse simply cannot compete at speeds of
15-20 km/hr.

I have heard a fair amount of opposition to hosting a WEC in Malaysia - viewed
by many as a primitive, 'developing' nation (these people need to experience
Malaysia first hand - it is a very modern country, probably the most modern and
advanced in all of Asia). The travel challenges will be enormous, especially
from North American and South American countries - where the transport of
horses will probably require 30 or more hours of shipping time - from barn to
barn. The need to adapt to the time change, recover from travel fatigue, and
adapt to the climate will be a challenge.  As was the case with the 1998 and
2004 WEC's in UAE. These are known challenges,  which all of the world will
face to varying degrees. They are not prohibitive challenges. And Malaysia is
giving competitors the opportunity to train and condition and acclimate for
whatever period of time they desire. The OC will pay for one month, any
additional costs will be covered by competitors, but board is inexpensive -
this is very do-able - and should be seriously con
sidered by competitors.

My personal opinion: Given the choice between a tropical venue and another
consecutive flat desert race with 7 and 8 hour winning times, I would like to
give Malaysia a chance. I don't have any particular 'missive' - this sport is
now big and complex and global - our choices in WEC venues are limited - and we
have to be realistic. I would love to see the FEI level sport become more
technical - hills, mountains, rivers - and hopefully we can keep the FEI
pointed in the right direction - to prevent FEI Endurance from becoming simply
a longer version of flat track racing.  But - meanwhile - we have to make
choices based upon real options.

In all honestly (again -in my opinion) the real question to be asked is:

Can a WEC can be conducted in this tropical climate, 200 horses competing for
medals, without undo danger to the horse.  Is it simply too hot? The jury is
still out, Malaysia will have to answer this question with demonstration rides,
and completion rates.

In my opinion - I believe it can be a reasonable venue. Hot? yes. Possible?
yes. Fair? yes. Difficult? yes. Slow? yes.

I would love to hear more discussion on this topic - feel free to voice your
opinions!

Steph

p.s.
I looked up climate data, comparing Malaysia - to Virginia's (southeast USA)
summer months (e.g. Old Dominion 100 mile ride in June)

Malaysia: 80-90% ave humidity, ave temps 70 - 90 F(all year)

Lynchburg, Virginia: June- ave humidiy - 57 (afternoon) to 81(morning) %,  ave
temp in June 70  -80

The PineTree ride, last year an FEI ride in Maine, in June, had temperatures in
the mid 90's, and humidity. The pull rate was high - many simply went too fast
for the conditions. Winning time was 15 hours.  A lot of horses with cautious
riders did just fine.