[RC] How Do YOUR Endurances Horses Live? - Sherman

Hi Karen,

Welcome to Ridecamp & Endurance.net. Have you checked out the Newbie section yet? also very good reading on AERC.org, Education, Decade Team Interviews and 100 Mile Rider Interviews.

Our horses have 24/7 turnout, with access to either a shelter or their stall & paddock, which has a gate that I leave open so they go in & out as they please. They have access to hay 24/7 as well. We don't irrigate, but we have green pasture most of the winter, lush pasture from March through May/June, dry pasture that usually doesn't get too dusty until it starts raining again in late October.

I don't ride on my property, but have direct access to approx. 15 miles of trails, it gets boring fast, so we trailer out a couple times a week. We may have to cut back with gas & hay going up 75% over the past 2 years.

When you get a shelter built, make it easy on yourself & allow the horse to go in & out without you having to get involved. Mine like to stand in the shelter on hot days as well as on rainy days. They're happy making their own decisions about when they want to go in & out.

Kathy
Grass Valley, CA

More newbie questions!

I'm very interested in learning how your horses are housed... Barns, 24/7
out, or some mix?  At your home or boarded?  Dry pasture?  Irrigated?

Do you ride on your property?  Ride off to trails?  Trailer off to trails?

Right now Kid is at a neat facility where he has AM to late afternoon
irrigated pasture turnout... Otherwise he's in a pole barn, or "mare motel,"
with a 12x24 covered stall.

I have 5 acres, and want to get 1 or 2 pastures set this summer and
autumn... And perhaps have a shelter, but not a "barn."  Coming from a "show
barn" background, where horses are kept in box stalls 22 hours, turned out 1
hour, ridden 30 minutes, groomed 30 minutes, this is WAY different.

Looking forward to more Ridecamp input...

Karen Green
Paso Robles, CA