[RC] colic and surgery - Carolyn Burgess

Sometimes you don't get to make the choice, it is made for you.  In 2004, my 15 y.o. Paint gelding colicked.  The vet thought it was an impaction, we managed him at home for 36 hours, seemed to get better and then took a dramatic turn for the worse.  We took him to Tufts, his torsion was in the small intestines, it had already ruptured and he had enteritis as well.  He was not a surgical candidate, and managing medically was not an option (it hadn't worked).

Carolyn Burgess