[RC] Helping Lame Horses--Long - Bruce Weary DC

I have been hiding behind the curtains watching the escalating argument over which measures are proper and those that are not for helping horses with joint maladies. Joints are my life (No, not that kind) and so I thought I'd throw in my perspective that might help steer the conversation onto a more civil and useful path.
Diagnosing pain, especially joint pain, and the lamenesses that result is a difficult task. A task that is made easier with some understanding of how pain is generated, and whether inflammation or wear and tear is present and/or responsible. It is my experience that much joint pain (especially in the spine) is misdiagnosed. By far, most back pain that people (and animals, for that matter) have is non-inflammatory and mechanical in nature. In other words, there is a "catch" or "jamming" that has occurred in one or more joints as a result of the joint being overwhelmed, underused, misused, or overused. The term we use is "Joint Dysfunction." Luckily for me, it is extremely common in people, and highly treatable. Some of these people even have good health insurance. :> It gets a little tricky, though. In the early stages of joint dysfunction, there is usually no inflammation. Just the pain that comes from abnormal stimulation (and suppression) of certain nerve endings that carry pain messages. Manipulation turns on certain nerve endings and turns off others, and thereby reduces or eliminates pain( the "pinched nerve" concept is rare and doesn't explain most people's pain). Until that is done, there is a series of "compensations" that occur. The nervous system tells certain muscles to shorten and contract differently, weight shifts, and perhaps a limp develops. So, by this mechanism, which is far and away the most common for producing joint pain, "wear and tear" is not the cause, even though it may be present on an x-ray. Follow me so far? All the textbooks are clear on the fact that the x-ray appearance does not correlate with the presence of pain. There are people (and horses) with clean x-rays who are in agony, and those with ugly x-rays who are pain free. This paradox can't be explained with a "wear and tear," "arthritis," "sprain/strain," or "inflammation," model only. Joint dysfunction can't be seen on an x-ray. It is a loss of function that is present before a manipulation, and absent or improved afterward.
Now, these processes are all related. Here's where it gets interesting. Joint dysfunction, if present long enough, will begin to contribute to wear and tear in a joint. It can also cause inflammation if present in a consistently exercised joint. Joint dysfunction doesn't improve with exercise. Which is why exercise alone is not a good regimen for joint or back pain. Inflammation can accelerate wear and tear. An arthritic joint can develop joint dysfunction which is relieved by manipulation, and therefore not an "arthritic" pain. An inflamed joint may be aggravated by manipulation. A sprained joint may be harmed by manipulation. However, after healing has taken place, that joint will often benefit from a manipulation/moblization to restore proper function, and prevent accelerated wear and tear. How many of you have presented at your doctor with a skeletal pain, an x-ray was taken, and if a little wear and tear shows up, you are given a diagnosis of "arthritis", and a prescription, and sent home? And, how many vets have examined your lame horse, and even with the help of x-ray and other diagnostic tests, can't tell you for sure why your horse is lame, especially in the absence of obvious injury, inflammation or swelling?
Welcome to my world.
As far as Legend and other such interventions, I view it as a way of positively affecting this whole process, just as manipulation restores function, relieves pain, and probably slows down the degenerative process, so that the horse can stay healthy as he goes down the trail. I think any good vet can tell when a horse (just as I can about people) ought to retire from a certain activity, even when there are reasonably conservative medical measures that can help.
I guess my point is that there are a myriad of reasons why a horse may have mechanical difficulties that keep him from traveling straight and pain free, and they aren't always ( and in my opinion, initially usually aren't) signs of a relentless downhill arthritic "slide" that we are selfishly and inhumanely suspending so he can do things that ought not be asked of him.
I'd be interested in hearing about the experiences your Ridecampers have had in dealing, successfully and unsuccessfully, with lameness. Anyone? Dr Q