[RC] White River Ride Story - Kari Hanes

The publisher of Horse Talk magazine has asked me to start submitting short stories on my LD adventures. Here's my first one, any suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Kari Hanes
Montalee Arabians

The weekend of May 6 and 7 was a cold start to my endurance season in Michigan. White River Spring, managed by Wayne Gastfield, hosted many riders. The competition was both in endurance and competitive trail on each day, including distances of 25, 30, 35 and 50 miles.

Riders and their horses started arriving on Wednesday and Thursday to set up camp. By Friday there were horses everywhere, it is such an awesome sight to see! There were Arabians, Paints, Thoroughbreds, Mustangs, Appaloosas, Mules, Ponies, Walkers, Saddlebreds and everything in between! Riders from seven to seventy years old and from several states were in attendance.

The morning of May 6 was going to be a cold one. With a forecast temperature in the low thirties everyone broke out their winter horse blankets before nightfall to keep muscles from being too cold for the early morning start. The ride meeting Friday night had many people in attendance, one of the largest crowds Ive seen at this ride. Wayne started the meeting with ride specifics including start and ride times for each division. Dr. Rae Mayer-Birr, head DVM then spoke and gave us the pulse/recovery criteria and suggestions for controlling our frisky mounts in the cold temperatures. Hold times for each division were gone over and the riders new to the area were given the chance to go over the ride maps and ask questions.

Morning came with the temperature as promised - cold! Mari Roses mule, Nellie, was heard through the camp in the early morning hours giving her wake-up bray loud enough for all to hear. Those who had rump rugs used them and everyone readied their mounts. The 50 milers started at 7:00 a.m., 30 milers at 7:30 a.m. and competitive starts were staggered after 8:00 a.m.

Wayne had been out at 4:00 a.m. to check the trails and everything was a go. I was ready to start with the 30 milers excited for my first ride of the season. The trails were in great shape, we hadnt had any rain in several days so there wasnt any mud to deal with. The only natural water available is from two creeks where the horses can drink and riders with trail sponges can cool their mounts.

The first fifteen mile loop went well, I headed out with Wayne as my mare (Leah) and his gelding (Luke) ride well together. We trading taking the lead off and on and the horses set an even pace. We came in to the vet check in first and second place, pulsed down within a few minutes of each other and settled in for our forty minute hold. On the second loop I headed out a few minutes ahead of Wayne and stayed at an even trot until he caught up with us a mile or so down the trail. We paired up from there making time where we could, walking where needed in the deep sand, large hills and stopping now and then for a short graze in some meadows. My husband had the ultimate pit crew help - two teenage girls! My daughter brought her friend to help and they all did a wonderful job. They met Wayne and I on the cross roads and always had water, electrolytes and slosh jugs on hand. Part way through the second loop they came across a rider on foot running towards camp - she and her horse had parted ways and the horse had headed back to camp without her. They gave her a ride to camp and came out to our next crew stop just in time. We finished up around 11:00 a.m. with first and second place in our division.

It was a great ride, cold weather and all. Everyone ended their day with healthy horses and looked forward to the potluck and awards ceremony. We decided not to stay for the Sunday ride and got camp ready to head home after dinner. The girls were happy to be going home where it was warm. Dinner was great, so much good food, so little time. As we all sat down to eat Don showed up riding the horse that was lost earlier in the day. He found it down the road grazing in a field, all the tack still on and in good health. He earned a big round of applause and the owner was so happy she cried! Now that Ive got that first ride under my belt Im setting my sites for the next one - Grand Isle, Memorial Day Weekend near Rapid River in the U.P.

Happy Trails!