Re: [RC] StrongidC and colic surgery - rides2far

Pfizer came through with the maximum benefit for Preventicare.

I may  be way off here, but I'm scared of Strongid C. There was a spell
there where quite a few horses who were on Strongid C had really serious
crashes that didn't seem to be for a good reason. I'd read that on RC so
when a friend's horse vetted through looking great at a ride, then had a
bad crash I just off the cuff said, "Not on Strongid C is he?" and she
said "Yes.". Then another rider had a horse die of colic, in surgery, and
she commented that she was glad it had been on Strongid C so it was paid
for...that this was the second horse's colic surgery they had paid for
for her. Well heck, I've never had one *need* colic surgery. Is it just
my imagination or is there some sort of connection?

Also, of the horses who have had colic surgery I've heard of quite a few
who have adhesions that come back to get them later. I had a dachsund
that had her gut torn open by a St. Bernard and though the vet put her
back together, she died years later of the adhesions. I watched the vet
cut her open and there was just a mass of scar tissue choking the
intestines so I have a visual image of what it looks like. Lastly, I've
known someone who was told her horse needed sugery but didn't opt for it
and he came out of it without the surgery. If she'd had the surgery that
horse might be working on adhesions now. (in my mind).

OK, some of you vets set me straight. These are just the observations of
a person who's listening and watching and right now does not have any
urge whatsoever to give Strongid C just so I'll have automatic colic
surgery insurance.

P.S. When I leave town I have told the people who take care of my horses
that I don't want colic surgery and they have permission to put one down
if I'm unreachable. For the money,  what the horse goes through, and the
prognosis, I don't think it's worth it.  Maybe I'd back out if there and
have to make the call. I guess we'll see.

Angie