Re: [RC] De-lurking Newbie - Mary Ann Spencer

Get Parelli Level one and The Seven Games... u will not be sorry.... u will both benefit.  It is available via the website or Ebay.  I wish I had it yrs ago.  Just started in 2004 and made big progress.  Good luck.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:35 PM
Subject: [RC] De-lurking Newbie

Hello all... duck, here comes another newbie/wannabe with tons of questions... :-)

In March I celebrated 2 years with my young Arab, who just turned 7.  I spent a year looking for an athlete - not just a pretty head - to partner with.  Kid had about 30 days under saddle when I wrote the check.  We first worked with a great trainer for 3 months to lay a good foundation, then in Sept 2005 we started dressage with another super trainer, not a DQ ;-) but an eventer who also competes - very successfully - in dressage.

I surely did get my athlete - at least so far.  We began trot and then canter pole courses late last year, and started jumping courses of cross-rails about 6 weeks ago.  If my little guy like to jump (jury's still out), we'll shoot for some eventing.

His basic stats:  His registered name is CJ Khountry Dance (by Sundance Kid V out of a Khemosabi daughter), 14.3, ultra easy-keeper, killer feet (no shoes since I bought him).  I truly must give him an A+ on ground manners, including clipping, tying, farrier, and so forth. And he'll do anything for a peppermint.  Right now he's being ridden in a Kieffer Lech Proffi (med-wide tree), a Myler pony-size (4.5") D-ring comfort snaffle.  Allowing for reasonable weather, we ride 5-6 days a week.

His one flaw is he can be a spook-and-bolt baby.  Truly a NASA-we-have-lift-off type, he is FAST... I usually catch him but not always, and thus have hit the arena sand more than a few times.  His spooking (with bolt or no) had been mellowing a lot out until we hit spring... and my vet (his vet since he was 4 months old) believes lots of his spookies are due to him getting started so late.

He's currently having either the generic "spring spookies (those tulips do look dangerous!)," or is bored with arenas (can't blame him - no opportunity to get out during the winter rains), or is OD-ing on the sugar in the lush spring grass, or some combination.  His pasture time has now been cut to 2 hours (don't want founder either, of course!), and we're spending 90% of our time out of arenas.  I'm looking for a boarding facility in the area (Central Coast of CA) that will give us better/easier access to good trails, and if we can find a spot with other NATRC or endurance folk I'd be thrilled.

I want to move him along towards endurance.  Perhaps NATRC first?  I've had some folks tell me that can be a negative if you're training an endurance horse.  I'd surely want to go safely... so I don't end up in a new area code unless I choose to ;-)  He's a hoot and a holler to ride fast when I ask for it, but when he makes the choice, that's another deal.

I do think I need to go volunteer at some rides, and next weekend's Lakeside Classic may be a great spot for me to start.

Look forward to contributing and not just asking questions... this is truly a super, information-rich mailing list you've got going here.

Thanks to all in advance for all your comments and feedback!

Karen and "Kid"
Paso Robles, CA