[RC] ride cards - log books - Splitters Creek ASHS

Hi all,

I found the discussions on ride cards for vet outs interesting. So in the U.S. you use an individual card for each endurance ride?  In Australia we have a log book for each horse - its like a passport with the horses i.d. in the front and each page represents a ride - be it a completion, vet out, whatever.  The details from the log book are transferred by the ride committee onto their 'master sheet' which is the official record of the ride.  If you vet out, you just collect your log book before leaving to go home, but it contains all the relevant details.

We are able to do training and social rides on cards, but to enter an endurance ride (80k or more) you must have AERA membership (via your own home state) and a log book for your horse.  The details of log books can be confirmed with the AERA by prospective purchasers which discourages any snake who's handy with 'white out' and the i.d.s are either via microchip or identifiable brands and markings.

Years ago I found having cards was a pain, much easier to misplace.  The log book system seems to work well here - would it be an option in the U.S.?

Regards
Catherine